Tomorrow we take off for the west coast of Vancouver Island. I had my last day of work on Wednesday until August! It’s a little weird since I’ve never taken this much time off, ever. We have a pretty great adventure planned and will be going out the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the rugged, remote Vancouver Island coast along the Pacific Ocean.
This is sort of a test – a test to see if we like real cruising. Not vacation cruising where you hurriedly jump from one destination to another, but cruising in the true meaning of the word – where you go at a sustainable pace living a mostly normal life, just one spent on the water.
Our itinerary (tentative, since the goal is to remain flexible) looks roughly like:
- July 4-6 – Seattle – Sequim bay – Neah Bay – Ucluelet
- July 7-8 – Barkley Sound
- July 9-10 – Tofino and Matilda Inlet
- July 11 – Hot Springs Cove
- July 12-14 – Hesquiat Harbour and to Nookta Sound
- July 15-19 – Return south to Tofino (includes buffer days)
- July 19 – Meet crew while Natalie flies back to work for the week, cruise Barkley Sound.
- July 23-24 – Bamfield – Port Renfrew – Victoria
- July 25 – Victoria rest day
- July 26 – July 30 – Gulf Islands and maybe the last day or two in the San Juans
- July 31 – Aug 1 – Return to Seattle via Port Townsend
We’ll probably try to post some updates of our progress as we make our way along.